- Document important phone numbers and vital power company information;
- Locate and label your utility shutoffs; and
- Have your disaster kit ready and stocked.
Wednesday, March 04, 2015
Due to the recent winter storms several communities across the county have experienced dangerous utility outages. Beyond the initial inconvenience, loss of electricity, gas or water can be life threatening. It is critical to know how you and your family can prepare and stay safe in the event of a utility outage.
Use FEMA’s free, online activity module, “Going Off Grid: Utility Outages,” to reference simple steps to get prepared for an outage. Some utility outagechecklist items include:
The “Going Off Grid: Utility Outages” activity module is part of FEMA’s “Preparedness Activities for Communities Everywhere” tools, which educate individuals about easy ways to become prepared for all types of hazards. The tools are designed for anyone to use in coordination with local emergency preparedness partners to help better prepare for emergencies.
Posted by Lloyd Colston at 1:36 PM
Wednesday, February 11, 2015
There are seats available for Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) courses in February at the Emergency Management Institute in Emmitsburg, MD. The E0427 CERT Program Manager and the E0428 CERT Train-the-Trainer courses are offered February 23-27, 2015. Students who wish to take both courses must submit a separate application for each course.
The E0427 CERT Program Manager course is intended for current CERT Program Managers or professionals and volunteers who are interested in being a local CERT Program Manager. You will learn the core components of a local CERT program and effective practices for:
- Developing local CERT program goals and a related strategic plan;
- Promoting local CERT programs;
- Orienting, managing, and retaining CERT members;
- Recruiting, funding, managing, and retaining CERT trainers.
The CERT Train-the-Trainer course includes:
- Delivering the CERT Basic Training;
- Conveying the messages and intent of the CERT Program; and
- Creating a comfortable yet managed learning environment.
These trainings are a great way to learn, not just from the seasoned instructors who teach the class, but also from the participants who hail from CERT programs throughout the country. Take advantage by enrollingtoday!
Posted by Lloyd Colston at 12:20 PM
Wednesday, February 04, 2015
Last month we informed you about “Do 1 Thing,” an exciting web-based program designed to prepare your family for emergencies throughout the year. We hope you were able to participate in the January theme of “Make a Plan.” If not, we encourage you to take part in next month’s theme: “Water.”
Water is an essential element to survival and a necessary item in anemergency supply kit. During the month of February, take action to store three days worth of water for your household.
“Do 1 Thing” offers the following list of ways to achieve this goal:
- Purchase and store a 72-hour supply of commercially bottled water;
- Bottle a 72-hour supply of water at home; or
- Learn how to provide a safe supply of drinking water for your household in a disaster.
By completing one of these actions, you’ll be better prepared for the unexpected. Also, you will be participating in America’s PrepareAthon!, a national campaign to prepare for hazards specific to your community through drills, group discussions, and exercises. Register your action on thecampaign’s website. Be counted among the two million preparedness actions already taken by families, businesses, and organizations across the country leading up to National PrepareAthon! Day on April 30, 2015.
Posted by Lloyd Colston at 12:17 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline Podcast
ARRL Amateur Radio News
South Coast Amateur Radio Service
- ARRL Oklahoma on Google+
- ARRL Oklahoma on Google+
- ARRL on Facebook
- Altus Emergency Management Blog
- Amateur Radio Community
- Amateur Radio News on Wireless
- Amateur Radio on Wikipedia
- American Radio Relay League
- Bible Gateway
- Brigada ... a missionary resource
- Collection of Links from AC6V
- DX Anywhere (DX Cluster)
- DX Watch (DX Cluster)
- Flying Pigs QRP Club
- Google News
- KC5FM on Google+
- My Hamshack Page
- Need to get on my calendar?
- OffRoad Ham
- Oklahoma Area Google Alerts
- QSL Card Maker
- Save Money with Ebates
- Save money with TopCashBack
- Storm Reports from Storm Prediction Center
- Ten-Meter DXcluster Spots
- Today in History
- Tweet Monitor
- WX5EM on Google+