The U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) report, "Firefighter Fatalities in the United States in 2016," identifies and analyzes all on-duty U.S. firefighter fatalities that occurred last year to better understand their causes and how to prevent them.
- Activities related to emergency incidents resulted in the deaths of 36 firefighters.
- Seventeen firefighters died while engaging in activities at the scene of a fire.
- Ten firefighters died while responding to emergency incidents.
- Nineteen firefighters died as the result of vehicle crashes.
- Heart attacks were the most frequent nature of fatal injury with 40 firefighter deaths.
- Nine firefighters died while they were engaged in training activities.