Wednesday, May 01, 2013

U.S. Citizens Services | Embassy of the United States Manila, Philippines

You got an email from a close friend, relative, or even an acquaintance.

Hello
    This message is coming to you with great depression due to my state of discomfort. I came down here to Philippines with my family for a short vacation but unfortunately, we were mugged and robbed at the park of the hotel where we stayed. All cash, credit cards and cell phones were stolen off us but we still have our lives and passports.

We've been to the embassy and the police here and they have done the best they can. Our flight leaves in less than 12hrs from now but we are having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills which is $2200. I am contacting you to ask for a short loan which I will refund immediately I get my family back home safely. Let me know if you can help.

Looking forward to positive response.

OH NO!  Not only are they in trouble, they are in another Country!  

Did they tell you they were going?  Ask yourself.  This may be a clue.

A quick reply:

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 7:12 AM, Courtney  wrote:
We've been to the embassy and the police here and they have done the best they can. Our flight leaves in less than 12hrs from now but we are having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills which is $2200.

Go back to the Embassy.  I will call them after church at 1 p.m. my time.  We will make arrangements there.  Let me know if this is OK.

Which brought back,

Glad you replied back, We have nothing left on us right now and we are lucky to have our Life and passport with us it would have been worst if they had made away with my passport.

Well,All we need is $2200 to sort out the hotel bills,you can have it wire to my name via any Western Union outlet I'll show my passport as ID to pick it up here,I promise to refund it back as soon as we arrive back home. Here's the info you need:

Name: Courtney Winfield
Address 48, Simon street, Malate
Country:Manila Philippines

As soon as it has been done, kindly get back to me with the MTCN confirmation number.Let me know if you are heading to a western union outlet now..
  
I owe you a Lot..


Are you seeing a pattern here?  OH, and by the way, I contacted Courtney on Facebook.  She is alive and well in the USA.  The email account has been hacked.

Thus, I wrote:


On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 8:25 AM, Courtney  wrote:

> Well,All we need is $2200 to sort out the hotel bills,you can have it wire
> to my name via any Western Union outlet I'll show my passport as ID to pick
> it up here,I promise to refund it back as soon as we arrive back home.
> Here's the info you need:
It is Sunday here. Western Union is closed.

Go back to the Embassy.  I will call them after church at 1 p.m. my
time.  We will make arrangements there.
BTW, how is little Sam?  Was he attacked?  Did they take his medicine too?

There is NO Little Sam.  Courtney never named her children anything close to that.

Yet, they are pretty persistent.


On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Courtney  wrote:
The embassy are not helping issues at all and our return flight leaves tomorrow and we are having problem sorting out the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we sort out the bills at the hotel, this is the reason why we need your help urgent help here, we can wait till tomorrow when the bank opens as soon as it is open at 9:00am kindly go ahead and have the cash wire to me via Western Union all you need is our name and present location here.. I promise to refund back the cash to you as soon as we are back home safety.

It's not that I don't trust you, Courtney.

The US Embassy there put this on their web page:

In case of an Emergency outside business hours,        
American citizens may reach the Embassy 
Duty officer through the
Embassy operator
at (63)(2) 301-2000. 

for this very reason.

The Duty Officer assured me he will help you.  There is a process in place THERE to get money to you.

Please bring your passport with you.

I look forward to a call from the Embassy that you are there.  You were not there at 1 p.m.  Please email me when you go to the embassy so I can call you there.  


So, traveler, if you did not buy traveler's insurance, realize that the State Department has processes in place to help you.

Check with them first before going.

U.S. Citizens Services | Embassy of the United States Manila, Philippines: "In case of an Emergency outside business hours,       
American citizens may reach the Embassy
Duty officer through the Embassy operator
at (63)(2) 301-2000."

'via Blog this'

No comments:

Southgate News

LinkedIN

ARRL Amateur Radio News

Oklahoma Gas Prices

Find Oklahoma Gas Prices
City,State or Zip Code (eg. Oklahoma City, OK)